- This event has passed.
Saudi Arabia: Time for Accountability
04/03/2019 at 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
The Right Livelihood Award Foundation, MENA Rights Group, the World Organisation against Torture (OMCT) and the Gulf Centre for Human Rights (GCHR) invite you to join Saudi Arabia – Time for Accountability, a side event on the margins of the 40th session of the Human Rights Council in Geneva. There will be a live stream available through MENA Rights Group.
Saudi Arabia – Time for Accountability seeks to draw on the findings of the reports of the Special Rapporteurs on Counter-Terrorism and Human Rights Defenders on the current human rights situation in Saudi Arabia. The panellists will reflect on the impact of disproportionate counter-terrorism measures on fundamental freedoms. Focus will be placed on the Saudi human rights defenders who have been unjustly prosecuted, tortured, ill-treated and arbitrarily detained in recent years, with a particular emphasis on women human rights defenders. The panellists will also discuss ways to engage the international community, as well as the role of Special Procedures, in ensuring that the Saudi authorities are held to account.
- Fionnuala Ní Aoláin, Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms while countering terrorism
- Michel Forst, Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights defenders#
- Johannes Mosskin, Right Livelihood Award Foundation
- Julia Legner, MENA Rights Group
- Yahya Assiri, Saudi human rights defender and Executive Director of Alqst
- Zaynab Al-Khawaja, Gulf Centre for Human Rights
- Omaima Al-Najjar, Saudi blogger and human rights defender
- Gerald Staberock, OMCT (moderator)
This event will be co-sponsored by: International Service for Human Rights (ISHR), CIVICUS, Women’s March Global, Alqst, and Equality Now.