Job Opening: Finance Manager
Are you motivated to develop and lead effective financial routines and reporting structures in a small but growing international team? Do you believe in supporting an organisation that strives for a just, peaceful and sustainable world for all? We are seeking an experienced and collaborative finance manager to lead our finance operations.
About the Right Livelihood Foundation
Established in 1980, the Right Livelihood Award Foundation honours and supports courageous people and organisations solving global problems. In total, there are now 178 Laureates from 70 countries leading pioneering change across the globe.
The Foundation provides Laureates with long-term support and helps protect those whose lives and liberty are at risk due to the nature of their activities. The Foundation is a charity registered in Sweden with twenty employees and offices in Stockholm and Geneva, Switzerland.
About the Position
The Foundation is hiring an experienced finance professional to be based in Stockholm. Your role will be to shape financial strategy for the Foundation to support department goals and organisational growth. You will lead and develop financial control processes for a 40 million SEK operating budget, create the annual budget, and ensure financial stewardship across the international team. You will report to the Head of Internal Operations and work closely together. You will also work closely with the management team, other colleagues, and external consultants and experts.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
Business Strategy and Control:
- Translate the Foundation’s strategy into a financial framework;
- lead and develop financial management processes for the foundation’s overall strategic development;
- lead, create, and coordinate the annual budget review process in collaboration with department leaders and the management team;
- direct quarterly budget reviews with department leaders to support their financial decision making;
- create quarterly financial forecasts and report variances, to ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting;
- lead budgeting and control process around future renovation projects for the Stockholm office, property of the Foundation;
- create a sustainability budget and reporting process related to internal CO2 emissions and sustainable/ecological investment options;
- ensure quality control in accounting and financial planning, including being the direct link between the finance team and other staff;
- Lead month-end and year-end close processes;
- coordinate the preparation of regulatory reporting;
- lead and develop internal financial routines and reporting processes in the team, and inspire colleagues to become strong financial stewards;
- develop, implement, and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls for both offices;
- Manage all accounting operations and complete administrative processes as needed;
- additional controller duties as necessary
- Proven work experience with financial management and control, preferably with a similar budget size;
- Bachelors or Masters degree with relevant finance/accounting coursework;
- excellent accounting software user and administration skills with preferred experience in Fortnox and Expense by DComm;
- experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year-end close process;
- thorough knowledge of Swedish accounting principles and procedures;
- full professional proficiency in English and Swedish
- professional working experience with an international company or organisation with offices in multiple countries;
- professional working proficiency in German and/or French
- understanding of the work of Right Livelihood Award Laureates
Terms of employment
This is a permanent position, starting as soon as possible. The position is based in Stockholm. Occasional travel to Geneva may be required as part of the position.
How to Apply
Email your CV and a PDF document with the completed question list (see below) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have further questions about the position or application process, please contact Maggie Wittman, Head of Internal Operations at email@example.com or call +46-8-7020340.
Deadline for application submission is 8 June 2020.
- Why are you interested in working in a civil society organization, specifically the Right Livelihood Foundation? (200 word max.)
- What work and educational experience do you have with business control? (200 word max.)
- What work and educational experience do you have with accounting? (200 word max.)
- Give an example of when you created and documented new financial processes? (200 word max.)
- Give an example of how you laterally-managed colleagues, who are external to finance operations, to either follow their department budget or create their department budget? (200 word max.)
- List the 5 main considerations or questions you need to address when creating a plan to build a forecasting process.
- What languages do you speak?
- What monthly compensation (SEK) do you expect for this position?